Sunday, January 10, 2010


Green male-ish being in my mind 
For some reason, unknown to me, I had to draw this being. All I know about him-ish is that he is male, but very feminine in the sense that he tries to have a female voice while still having a deep voice, wears lipstick, and tries to style his hair in a female sort of way (or what he thinks is female). he is not from this world, but he wants to be. He is an observer, and quiet looker who wants to learn and adapt. He is not evil, not mean, but a tad bit scary. He is the unknown. 

I have realized that when I draw I tend to enjoy creating beings with : long necks, high collar garments, long sleeves, angular long faces, big lips, and sharp eyes. I have been thinking a lot about my style and I do realize the impact that Tim Burton, gothic elements, Edward Gorey, Surrealism, Dadaism, Rene Magritte, Dali, Manray, Joel-Peter Witkin, and others. I have realized that I have forgotten about what really makes me tick, and I think it is time that I return to it.
   
on of my favorite photographs by Witkin, his version of Manray's photograph


Manray


On a sewing note, I am still eagerly studying the different doll makers out there and I have found some outstanding and mind boggling work. I encountered the works of Lisa Lichtehfels.

 These dolls are so life like, that I had to look at them several times to find something that indicated that their flesh was actually nylon. I must learn from this woman, she is gifted to say the least. I am also drawn to the cart before the horse work. I find it very similar to what I want to create, however different. I cannot see myself ever coming up with the things they create, but we share the same, lets say, "air" or style.
What would you consider your style to be? What influences you?

So I will be trying to create my green male-ish being into a doll. I have to practice before I can create my abuelito.

No comments:

Post a Comment