Friday, May 27, 2011

The meaning of things

As my mother in law's birthday approaches the idea of a gift (a significant gift) keeps on glooming over me. Is there real meaning of turning 70? I do not ask this in a mean way, but is just living without getting killed a real accomplishment? Or, what I think to be true, is the meaning within how one lives their life, even if it is to 13. She was a young child during the end of World War 2. She married young and had five children spread out throughout her 20's and 30's. She  has always worked hard as a housewife, and for a while as the fabric manager of their furniture company that went under. She has been a caring grandmother who whenever asked takes care of her grandchildren when her children are busy working. She is an admirable woman. She deserves to be honored and with that to receive a gift that shows her how mush she means.

I have been going back and forth with the idea of sending her something that I have made. However, there are many questions that have risen with this idea. Will she appreciate what I give her? Do I give my things too much meaning? Will she think it is ridiculous? My upbringing has been a very artistic one. My mother is an artist, my grandmother sews, plays the piano and draws, her mother was an artist, and so on. And on my grandfather's side, even though they were more mathematical they have always found the beauty and wonder in art, like my husband. My husband however, seems to be a unique member of his family. They do not understand or appreciate art. They might see something that appeals to them but they only look at it superficially. Therefore, if I were to send her a sun for example, she would only see a small sun on a piece of fabric. I see a message of importance, life, everlasting, energy, the center, and also the desire to send her more sun, more light, more enjoyment for many years. Would she get that? Would she want to?

On another note, I have been going through my unfinished cloths, unfinished for a reason (I did not really like them) and have pulled bits a pieces out of them.


And so now I am playing with an elephant. I have been playing around with the idea of making a large cloth with the theme of sun moon and stars. This is an elph star, and I think it needs more color in addition to an eye and other things. But this is what I have in front of me this morning.

3 comments:

  1. ...is just living without getting killed a real accomplishment?...that made me laugh out loud. i would say 'NO'. i will turn 70 next year and the number means nothing to me. if i receive a piece of art from someone, even though i might not know the meaning of it, i consider it a gift of love and would cherish it for that reason alone. i think it is ok if she only looks at your art superficially. i would think she would just appreciate the fact that you took the time to make something special for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant no offense with that comment. Just a real question. I guess it would be a real accomplishment if you were living in Afghanistan or Sudan or so many other places where it is a battle to really survive. But in the US and modern Europe I see more meaning in how one lives life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. i took no offense. i truly thought it was funny because some people do believe that is their accomplishment. it's one of the reasons i stopped counting at age 18. age is just a number.

    ReplyDelete