Friday, March 18, 2011

budding thoughts

we finally received the keys to our new home. And last weekend we went every day to the house and enjoy the nature surrounding it, the peacefulness, the beauty, the Godliness. Like so many others I do find divinity in nature. I recall always needing a break from Bogota as a child and a teenager, and finding my peace in Guasca, a small town where my aunt and uncle have their refuge. A little finca up in the hills, looking down at a stone river. The wind would bring fresh scents of grass, or warm aromas of the neighbor´s chickens and horses.

Even though compared to my husband, who grew up in a german village walking barefoot and can recognize any plant, I am a city girl I have the desire to be a country woman. I want our children to grow up climbing trees, making crowns and necklaces out of flowers, builing forts, and swiming in the creek. I want them to have the knowledge of the earth, how to take care of it, how to cultivate it.

I see how we have lost touch with our history, ancestors, spirit, and I have the feeling as if I need to preserve it. There are too many souls that cannot see past the somputer screens. They have no idea about how nature works. We are loosing skills that are precious and very valuable.

The disaster in Japan just reinds me of how vulnerable our comfort is. One day we can be busy fussing over stock and all of a sudden reality hits and one has to wonder where to find clean water, how to remain warm, how to survive. In my moments of paranoia I think about how would I survive if all technology and modern comforts were take away. What would I take with me? What would I do?

I have always wanted to have books on: natural remedies and a encyclopedia of edible an poisonous plants. I want to learn about nature. I want to reunite with it.

Have any of you ever contemplated about that? What if we all had to start over and rebuild the world?

4 comments:

  1. everytime there is a natural disaster someplace, i think about what i would do if i lost everything. i want to be mentally prepared in case it happens. i think i could handle it after thinking about the possibility for so long. it would be hard and i would be sad for a while, but it is life that is important not the material things that one accumulates. much happiness to you and your family in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that if you think about it more you could be better prepared. But you never know how you will react when something unexpected happens. It is as if the moment takes over and another part of you has control. Once I reacted calmly when there was an earthquake and ran down the stairs to my cousin who was alone because I knew she was afraid. Another time I was in accident and I froze I didn´t know what to do...

    Thank you for your well wishes Deanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. when these disasters occur around the world, there seems no way to be prepared for what follows, once nature has calmed down. it leaves behind the unbelievable... as in japan. knowing folks are still hunting for family members breaks my heart . . .
    in my youth i dreamed of living in the mountains or up on a mesa, here in n.m., watching the storms arrive and move on... or crisp sunrises...
    none of that happened, pero i am very happy where i am, in town, close to the sandhill cranes.
    what you describe, your new family home, your joint love for the earth is all a gift for your children. keep the happiness, live life to the fullest!
    3 cheers to your new home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Cristina. I to have always wanted to be one of those people that lived in the jungle to experience the wildness and perfection of it all. Unfortunately I am too much of a coward. Therefore the Pflaz forest is my jungle.

    ReplyDelete