Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The number of us

As the Magic Diaries progresses I continue to think about my mandala cloth. It is a ritual, a rite of passage, something that brings about meditation, awareness, connectedness, strength, and I was contemplating what should be in the middle of this cloth. It must be somehting of importance, a starting point and even a returning point. And so I began to think what happens in the beginning. Numbers...We are all just numbers before we are anything else to the world.

As I have seen while being pregnant, a human is all numbers the size of our head, our weight, the amount of time we have existed in utero. And at the moment of our birth number continue to be of significance; the time of birth, the weight, the height, apgar score. And then slowly we become ourselves, independent of numbers, but still reliant on them, still we identify with them. Our birthday tells us what sign we are and what personality traits we have. Our age tells us how much we have experiences, what we should know, what we shouldn't know, how much time we have lived and how much time we might have left. So I ask, are we all just numbers? Our whole being can me measured and quatified. However, there is another side of us that cannot, our imagination, creativity, feelings, perceptions, dreams, and so on.

This is what I want to place in the middle of it all. The division between our physical and impossed awareness versus the metaphysical and unimposed awareness of ourselves.

5 comments:

  1. This was an interesting idea to read. I'd never quite thought of us that way...but you're right, numbers do hold an importance, are intertwined.
    So glad to follow your blog so I can watch your MD cloth unfold. I have also thought of doing a mandala cloth in the past so I am very curious to see how it manifests itself for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the left brain is the logical, necessary number part and the right brain...every thing else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well if you really think about it, we are actually two different identities inside one body. THe left brain is one and the right the other. They worry and care for different things. To think that only the corpus callosum is what connects the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are a bunch of numbers that add up to us- i also hadn't thought about this. my grandma believed in numerology & changed one letter of my dad's name to fit the number she wanted for him- so did he suddenly change who he was when she did that? I think of the phrase- "we are more than the sum of our parts"-thank goodness. I'm still looking for that drawing to share with you. hope the pregnancy is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that we are more than the sum of our parts. That is the whole idea of the middle that I want to express for this cloth. We have a quantitative part and then a metaphysical part that cannot be measured or quantified.

    ReplyDelete